Sunday, May 11, 2008

Metformin day 24, May 12, 08

Sorry to all of you readers due to my lack of blogging in the last 5 days. I have tried to blog over this time period but every time I start to write my new post, I end up deleting it not sure if I should write what I need to write. I have just been experiencing something from the Metformin that was not expected and I think would be discouraging for those who are considering taking glaucophage but since I pledged to be honest in my description of my "recovery" then I feel it necessary to explain what has happened over the last 5 days.

It started about May 9th. I was in the shower and got my hair wet and noticed that it felt "different". Now my hair is something I have been proud of my entire life. I hated it as a kid because it was so hard to brush, but I've always had glorious hair. I often grow it out as long as I can stand it and then cut 10-11 inches off and donate it to "locks of love" to be made into wigs for cancerous children. As you can see, my hair means a lot to me. So back to the shower. I put the shampoo in my hair and begin to "lather" when I notice as I go to pull my hands away that they are covered in hair. Large amounts of hair strands on both hands. I try not to freak out thinking maybe it's because it's getting warmer outside. Heck, my dog sheds, why can't I? I proceed to rinse my hair out and more and more strands are coming out. By the time I finished my shower, I was a numb. I didn't cry. I didn't panic. I didn't do anything but towel dried my hair and stare at my damp hair in the mirror. Sure enough, it is definitely a lot thinner than it was before the Met. Since then, my hair has slowly been falling out more. No I am not bald or anywhere near bald, but I am afraid that the hair loss is not going to stop. I dropped from the 1500 mgs dose back down to 1000 and don't know if it is helping any yet, but I am too afraid to go back up to 1500 mgs. I didn't see this hair loss a week ago and I would have noticed.

I googled Metformin and hair loss, and sure enough, it is a side effect. Personally, I would rather deal with the other unpleasant side effects before dealing with losing my hair, but what can I do? This medication is my last hope before having to explore surgery. I am sure that going through premature menopause would probably contribute to hair loss as well. (among other things)

It really is unfair that we have to suffer through this horrible "syndrome". I am thankful that it isn't terminal or anything like that, but wonder how much more of this I have to go through before menopause.

ps. I try not to put my personal "comings and goings" on this blog because it is focused on the Metformin, but wanted to let you all know that my mother in law is here visiting us in Italy and that we will be going to Rome this weekend so if you don't hear from me for another long stretch, it's because I'm beating up some gladiators and chilling with the Pope. (Well, at his "crib" anyway). :) Take care everyone.

4 comments:

Bernadette said...

Thanks for updating!

I am so sorry to hear about the hair loss. I have always had long, thick hair until my thyroid went haywire, and then I was losing handfuls every day. It can be absolutely devastating. Hopefully the decrease in met will help with that.

Before you try surgery, perhaps you could talk to your doctor about another insulin sensitizer like Byetta or Januvia?

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have pcos I did not lose my hair on metformin but the hair lose could be the pcos cause that causes hair lose too.

Anonymous said...

I have been on Metformin on and off due to being pregnant for four years straight! I owe my three beautiful babies to Metformin. I have not experienced any loss of hair, in fact it is actually thicker. I am positive that the reason why I was losing hair before I was taking Metformin was due to PCOS. And PCOS casues, Acne, Hair Loss, Infertilty to name a few...but now that I have been on Metformin, my face is clear, I have thick hair again, I have lost weight! I would maybe have the dr. check for Thyroid problems.