Thursday, June 5, 2008

Metformin Day??? Update

So I havent been around in awhile. I've kinda been at a loss of what to say. My mother in law came out mid may and I went off of the Met because I didnt want any embarassing side effects while she was here. Unfortunately, I have not wanted to restart the Met.
The fact of the matter is, I have lost about 1/4 of my hair. It still is coming out in clumps daily, when I shower, the drain gets clogged. My hair has been gloriously long, thick and healthy for my entire life. Even at age 5, it was down to my waist. I don't know how to deal with the fact that my once thick hair is now thin and lifeless. I am afraid that although I have stopped the Metformin, that my hair is going to continue to fall out. My GI issues are not any better either, even though it has been weeks since I have taken a single Metformin. Everything I eat gives me a stomach ache and my digestion is way off. I have not lost any weight, but I still am not having a normal bathroom experience. I wonder if this is normal.

On the flip side, I had another period this month- exactly 30 days from the previous one. This is great, but not so great because of the other side effects.

I really am at a loss of what to do. I am afraid to go back to the GYN and tell her that this is what happened or else she may want to do the uterine ablation or try another IUD. This really sucks.

So I have a period, but am losing my hair. I had no pain on the met but spent a lot of "quality time" in the bathroom. I have to decide on being bald and in no pain or being in pain but not have most of my hair hit the floor. What do I do? What can I do?

This isnt what I expected or hoped for.

5 comments:

Sally said...

Oh, Stacey! I'm so sorry to hear this. But I do think you ought to go back to the doctor and talk it over with her. You can always refuse any procedure if you don't want it. Stay well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey. :)

The metformin may take a few weeks before your body gets accustomed and the unwanted side effects subside. I've been on Metformin for more than a year now and it has helped reduce testosterone levels in my body (mine were higher level of normal) as well as handle my insulin resistance.

I so understand you about the thick hair bit; I suffered a case of hair vanity in adolescence. *l*

If you haven't had your androgen hormone/prolactin levels checked, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do so. Prolactin is a component of male pattern hair loss; it increases production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which is another part of hair loss. Decreasing those levels may help you keep/grow back some of your hair.

Best of luck to you,

Another sufferer of PCOS

Anonymous said...

Stacey this is your sister in good ol' USA. I think we need to talk more. I will email you. Hope you are well.

Anonymous said...

Hello
I've just been diagnosed with PCOS and put on Metformin and saw your link to this site on the SoulCysters messageboard.

I just wanted to say I related to so much that you said, and I really hope your silence in the last few months is because things are improved and you're not feeling like you need to post here any more.

Either way, thanks so much for being so honest about your feelings - I honestly feel like I'm going a bit mad and to hear other people feeling the same way brings me some comfort (it turns out misery loves company!)

Thank you :) xxx

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I have been quiet because I stopped taking the metformin because I can not get a refill unless I try to get pregnant, which I am not actively trying to do. I go see a new doctor next week who may prescribe me some more and I will make sure to start blogging again. Really though, since I stopped taking it, my hair grew back. I'm afraid if I start taking it again, my hair will fall out again.