Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Metformin Day 5

Back again to check in and let you readers know that I am still trucking on. I upped the dose yesterday to 1000 mgs and didn't feel anything different until this morning. After I ate breakfast (crackers and cheese) that's when I started to get that "acid reflux" feeling. It settled down and I was able to eat half a bagel which is nice. Weight loss so far: 4 lbs in 5 days. That's not bad really.. more than I expected. I guess now would be a good time to let you know what I feel about IUDs. I think they are a product that although safe for some, its side effects are not worth it. They claim to be 99 percent effective at preventing pregnancy "in the uterus" but what they fail to mention, is that conception still occurs and you either miscarry very early or have the egg implant in your tubes. A ruptured ectopic pregnancy can kill you in 20 minutes!! Once you have 1 ectopic, you are at higher risk for another one. Many women who use the IUD are having perforated Uterus' and have to have surgery to repair it. They are getting pelvic inflammatory disease leading to infertility. They have the IUD's fall out without their knowledge. They have their IUD's travel to other places in their body and then have to have the IUD removed surgically. In those few who end up with uterine pregnancies anyway, they either choose to a) keep their IUD and risk preterm labor and premature placental separation/infection or b) remove the IUD right away and have a high risk for miscarrying as the IUD is removed. This IUD is a nightmare! I think those without issues are lucky. I had mine placed in December and due to complications and hemorrhage, I will never have one again. Back to the Metformin... Well I have not had anything resembling a period since the bleeding last month (the 17th). The provera isn't working for me yet, nor is the metformin, but hopefully soon. I have a lot of pressure in my pelvis and I am hoping a normal period will help in that regard. I'll keep updating.

No comments: