Monday, November 24, 2008

Metformin, Week 1

So it's been a week! I haven't updated because it has been a great week, issue free. Today is another great Metformin day. I can not believe how different this time has been from last.
I have not had ANY bad GI issues aside from some nausea a few times from eating too much popcorn. I have actually LOST about a pound a day since starting the Met again. I know it's not water weight because I am drinking about 48 ozs of water a day, at minimum. I was having problems with cravings in the evenings and started to take my pill when those cravings hit, and they are gone! The cravings have left. When they start back, I take my pill. I haven't had any of the diarrhea like the previous time I was on met, but I think that is also because I have drastically changed my diet- I mean drastically.No carbonated beverages, no alcohol, no sugary sweets. I haven't been eating greasy fatty foods, and I haven't been loading up on carbs. I feel wonderful, really. I haven't had a period yet, since the beginning of September, but I am thinking that I might have ovulated. The "atmosphere" down *there* has changed which means some hormones are actually working for once. I also had some cramping which leads me to think that in about 2 weeks, I may be able to circle another date on the calendar. I see the doctor on Dec 3rd and will be asking for a refill of the Met. I am so happy to have control over my appetite, to actually see the numbers going down on the scale, and to not have the GI issues from last time, that I plan on staying on the medication. I haven't gotten up to 1500 mgs a day, but right now am at 1000 mgs, and am handling it just fine.

So far, no hair loss either. Maybe the key to Metformin working properly is in diet. I think it works it's best when the person taking it works *with* the Metformin to help it fix what needs fixed. Because I am not eating the wrong foods, the Metformin is working better than last time I was on it.

So far, I am sure I made the right decision to start taking the Met again. I will update soon after I begin the third pill.

I hope this blog helps some of you in your own Metformin experiences.

No comments: