Friday, February 17, 2012

Last and final update

If you stumble across this blog you may wonder what ultimately happened in this case. This post is several years rolled in one but it does detail the end of my hellish time with Metformin.


After starting Metformin, I was on a roller coaster ride. I'd take it, get up to three pills a day and then my system wouldn't tolerate it anymore. I went years or up then down and up then down with this medicine. Personally, I hate it. I hate what it did to me. I was sick constantly and the GI upset, no matter the dose is impossible to deal with.

Even with taking the Metformin, I continued to get sick. I have seen more doctors than I can remember and have tried pills, an IUD, weight loss (it's back on now, lol) and anything else they threw my way. None of it worked.

Finally, just recently I saw my doctor at the end of 2011. I started a period August 2011 and it was ER heavy by December. I was battling my blood levels and chair bound. I couldn't do much of anything as it was so heavy and painful. February 1, 2012, I had a hysterectomy. No, my ovaries aren't fixed now that my uterus is gone, but I am no longer a slave to the nonstop bleeds.

I have given up on having another child, but I am fighting for a chance to live my life free of the bleeding and pain.

It is now February 17th and I have taken great pleasure in throwing every.single.bottle of Metformin away. I had bottle after bottle in all the cupboards. It was a freeing moment to toss it all in the rubbish bin.


I am happier. I am healthier and I am metformin free but it cost me my uterus.

If you are going to take this medicine, I wish you all the best in the world. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.

No comments: